Medical Breakthroughs Reported by Ivanhoe.com. Click here to go to the homepage.
Be the First to Know. Click here to subscribe FREE!
Search Reports: Use quotation marks around your multi-word search terms in the box below to perform search of Ivanhoe.com.
Advances in health and medicine.Use " marks around search terms
 
What's New
News Flash
Discussion
healthchannelnews
  Alternative Health
Arthritis
Asthma & Allergies
Autism
Breast Cancer
Cancer
Cardiovascular Health
Children's Health
Dental Health
Diabetes
Fertility & Pregnancy
Men's Health
Mental Health
Multiple Sclerosis
Neurological Disorders
Nutrition & Wellness
Orthopedics
Pet Health
Robotics
Seniors' Health
Sports Medicine
Vision
Women's Health
Advances in health and medicine.
Click here to sign up for Medical Alerts!
Click below to access other news from Ivanhoe Broadcast News.
  Click here to get Ivanhoe's Medical Headline RSS feed Click here to listen to Ivanhoe's Medical Podcasts
Useful Links
Play It Again, Please
E-Mail a Friend
Order Books Online
Inside Science
Smart Woman
Advances in health and medicine.
Smart Woman Home
Click here to read the story
Click here to read the story
Click here to read the story
Smart Woman Home
Advances in health and medicine.
Click below to learn about Ivanhoe.
  Awards
About Us
Contact Us
Employment
Feedback
Ivanhoe FAQ
Our TV Partners
Travel Calendar
Advances in health and medicine.
Ivanhoe celebrates 20 years of medical news reporting reaching nearly 80 million TV households each week. Click here to learn more...
Advances in health and medicine.
Marjorie Bekaert Thomas
Publisher/President
Advances in health and medicine.
Advertisement
Women's Health Channel
Reported February 7, 2013

Everyday Hazards: Household Hazards

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (Ivanhoe Newswire) - Accidental injuries are the leading cause of death in children and send more than 16 million kids to the ER each year. While you may already be taking precautions against obvious dangers, there are some we’re sure you haven’t thought of yet.

With six kids, Lyssha and Jake Bowden know a thing or two about child-proofing.

“Any toy that has loose parts, small parts, electric outlets,” says mother Lyssha Bowden.

Even with all that caution Tino, their only son, proved that boys will be boys when he swallowed 16 tiny craft magnets. Within an hour, he was in the ER.

“When we saw the x-ray, we actually saw that a couple days prior, he’d also been eating magnets … along with a Christmas tree light fuse that was down there,” father Jake Bowden tells Ivanhoe.

Once swallowed, magnets can attract and “glue” the esophagus, stomach, or small bowel tissue together.

Pediatric Gastroenterologist Manoochehr Karjoo, MD, from Upstate Golisano Children’s Hospital explains, “They need surgery because they are very tight together. It cannot be removed.”

Magnets, which are often sold as toys, aren’t the only danger. Balloons, a staple of birthday parties, are the leading cause of toy-related choking deaths in kids.

“Balloons kind of conform to your food pipe and they can choke you very easily,” says Sangeeta Bhargava, MD, a Pediatric Gastroenterologist from Orlando, FL.

And Fido’s food: also a choking risk! It’s time to move it when baby starts to crawl.

“They are innocent. They don’t know,” says Dr. Karjoo. “They put it in their mouth and they swallow.”

Another danger: swallowing just one mouthful of baby oil can cause lung inflammation and death. Ingesting Visine can cause breathing problems and seizures. Just a few teaspoons of hand sanitizer can cause alcohol poisoning in kids.

“I know they warn on the box, but when the danger’s in the house, all the kids, they have access to it,” warns Dr. Karjoo.

When used on kids under two, Vick’s Vaporub can lead to respiratory distress. And finally: batteries. From 1997 to 2010, 40,400 kids were treated in the ER for battery ingestion. Dr. Bhargava explains, “If they get stuck in the esophagus, they can do damage very, very quickly.”

Batteries cause tissue tears, burning, and internal bleeding.

“I don’t need any other risks in the house at this point,” says Lyssha.

Tino had a six hour surgery to remove his magnets. He still suffers stomach pain. Lyssha says it “Definitely made us take a look at littler parts and just the everyday items that you use that you wouldn’t think about.”

The bottom line?

“Caution, caution, caution! Anticipate, and do it before something bad happens,” advises Dr. Bhargava.

It may just save your child’s life!

Dr. Bhargava says loose computer cables and wires are also a strangulation hazard. Make sure these are tied properly. She says pennies are the most common item she sees kids ingest. Often, they will pass on their own, but the coins can get stuck in the esophagus. 

 

Related Articles in Latest Medical News:

[ Back to Women's Health Channel Home ]

EDITOR'S CHOICE
Most Recent Videos

Follow Us On:

Click here to go to Ivanhoe's Twitter page Click here to go to Ivanhoe's Facebook page Click here to go to Ivanhoe's YouTube page

How to Find a Qualified Mammography Provider

For the nearest FDA-certified mammography provider, or to check the status of your imaging center, call the NCI's CIS at (800) 4-CANCER.

Advertisement

Home | What's New | News Flash | Search/Latest Medical News | E-Mail Medical Alerts!
Ivanhoe FAQ | Privacy Policy | Our TV Partners | Awards | Useful Links | Play It Again, Please
RSS Feeds | Advertising/Sponsorships | Content Syndication | Reprints

Advances in health and medicine.
webdoctor@ivanhoe.com
Copyright © 2014 Ivanhoe Broadcast News, Inc.
2745 West Fairbanks Avenue
Winter Park, Florida 32789
(407) 740-0789

P.O. Box 865
Orlando, Florida 32802

Premium Content in Latest Medical News Denotes Premium Content in Latest Medical News